Saturday, June 20, 2015

Most frequently asked interview question in a bus driver job interview

1. Why do you want this job? 
Answer: My former employer is leaving the country, and he has sold his company to another group who is willing to recruit new drivers. Thus I am in need of changing the current job. 

2. Do you mind working nights and weekends?
Answer: No, I am ready to work at nights and in weekends and have also did it in my last job. 

3. Are you willing to work as a substitute driver in all areas of the district?
Answer: Sure, I have no problem to work as a substitute driver across the district. 

4. Are you regularly available to drive, even when called at the last minute?
Answer: Yes, I am always available to drive as this is my profession and I am highly sincere about it.

5. How much education and experience do you have?
Answer: Well, I have completed my graduation and been driving different types of cars for last seven years. I think both of them are enough for driving vehicles.

6. Do you have a driving license for a bus? How long do you have it?
Answer: Yes, I have a driving license for bus driving and I am carrying the license for around two and a half years. 

7. How long are you driving a bus?
Answer: I have been driving bus for around two years. 

8. Have you ever received points on your driving license?
Answer: No, I do not have any penalty points on my driving license

9. How do you plan bus routes?
Answer: Usually I try to figure out the route using the local map where I am planning to drive and try to avoid routes prone to traffic congestion.

10. Why is it important that bus schedules be on time?
Answer: As the passengers have to go different places and most of the cases they are to meet emergencies, it is highly important that the bus schedules be on time. A simple late of one or two minutes of the schedule may bring unwanted troubles to the passengers.

11. How do you plan to adapt to many different bus routes?
Answer: Well, in that case I try to get the most suitable routes first and then select the best one among them. But if there are no such routes available, I will try to sort out the less time-consuming one to reach the destination and will use that often if I am to go the same place regularly.

12. What specific skills do you have that relate to this position?
Answer: I have a sharp sixth sense and my eye sights are clearer than the other people. So, when I drive, naturally I become careful and use my sharp eye sights to seek out the safest routs for my vehicle to reach the destination. I can read any instruction and can interact with others in a friendly manner. I am dedicated to my job and that makes me a deserving candidate for this position. 

13. How would you handle a vehicle in icy conditions?
Answer: I try to move the vehicle slowly so that it remains under my control. Increasing speed on icy surfaces may lead to serious accidents or the car wheels may slip. So, I always keep the speed level in minimum during the drive on icy surface.

14. When driving a "school bus" how would you handle a situation in your bus when a student physically harms you or another student?
Answer: Well, in that case, I would be tolerable and never show any reactions to the student. It may happen that the student is behaving wrong as s/ he is immature. But being a sensible person, it would not look decent for me to get involved into another trouble. I will however treat any injury caused by the incident with the fast-aid box I have with me and would notify the teacher and parents about the incident.    

15. You have come upon a serious accident where it is apparent there may have been loss of life. How would you deal with your bus?
Answer: If I experience such situations, I will stop the bus and rush to the spot. If I see anyone with serious injury, my most important task is to provide all types of first aids and take the victims to the nearest hospital. I would also consider the safely of other passengers. 

16. If you believe that a bus ticket was fake, what would you do?
Answer: Such events may take place often and in that case I would ask the passenger politely to get down of the bus and suggest to talks with the ticket provider. 

17. What characteristics do you possess that make you a good bus driver?
Answer: I have a good concentration and when I drive bus, I do not pay heed to the other events. Moreover, I do not cross the speed limit and do not overtake the other vehicles unless the overtaking appears necessary. I am careful and I totally understand that life is more important than time. Safety and discipline are most important aspect of a good driver and I follow them both very strictly.  

18. In the event of a serious accident, what procedure would you follow?
Answer: I will stop the bus and take information about the accident. Then, if possible, I will extend a helping hand to the victims and take them to medical centers or adjacent hospitals. It is also important to inform the local administration or police station, I will also check that issue and if not informed, I will inform them about the accident. 

19. Have you ever had to control and discipline a group of children between the ages of 5 and 18?
Answer: Sorry, I did not have such experiences before as I did not drive school or college buses. But if I am asked to do, I would be able to handle them smoothly.

20. What techniques do you plan to use in order to maintain control of the students who you will only drive for a few days on a substitute basis?
Answer: I will try to discuss about the importance of discipline among the students and if they follow my instructions, I will declare of a reward to them. I think the students are fond of rewards and thus they will maintain discipline inside the bus. 

21. Do you feel it is important that bus stops and schedules be regular and on time? Why?
Answer: Yes, I think this is important for a bus to arrive at a bus stop and follow schedules. There are several reasons behind my belief. Firstly, the passengers need a specific place to ride on the bus. Majority of the passengers ride buses to reach their destinations in due time as they are to accomplish their respective tasks. If the buses do not arrive in time, the passengers will be unable to reach their destinations in time which may result in serious negative consequence. So, maintaining a schedule for the bus and waiting for the passengers at a particular bus stop is undoubtedly important.  

22. What specific skills have you acquired or used in previous experience that relate to this position?
Answer: I am highly punctual and never miss any schedule at any time of the day unless there are some unwanted situations in my private life. I can drive perfectly and never allow the speedometer to cross the prescribed limit. I always try to drive safely as many of the lives are with me and if there are accidents, I am unable to take their responsibilities. So, I think the best way is to drive slowly and save lives. 

23. Are you prepared to undergo an intensive training program that may take a minimum of six days?
Answer: Yes, I am always eager to learn and if the training program is beneficial to me and my profession, I will gladly participate there no matter how long it takes to get trained. 

24. What experience do you have operating a large vehicle?
Answer: Well, I have driven large truck for one and a half years and carried goods from place to place inside the district. Besides, I drove highway buses as well which are unusually larger than the buses commuting inside the city.

25. How would you handle a situation on your bus in which a student attempted to or did physically harm you or another student?
Answer: I will stop the bus and park it at a side of the road. Then I will check if someone is hurt and if the injuries are serious, I will provide the first aid to the injured. On the other sides, if the other part, I mean the student who assaulted, is guilty, I will do everything to make sure s/ he gets the right punishment from the authority and parents as well.

26. Would keeping a schedule or being on time on a bus run be of any importance, in your opinion?
Answer: Yes, it is important. The passengers wait for bus and they rush to ride on to reach their destinations in time. So, if I cannot be on schedule, it would be detrimental for them in many aspects. So, being on schedule or being on time at the bus stop is highly important to me. 

27. What is the most difficult situation you have been faced with involving another person? How did you deal with it?
Answer: When I used to drive bus inside the city, I had found a passenger who was rude to the other passengers and did not allow them to sit beside him. He simply grabbed two seats and used them for his own. So, when he was asked to get aside by another passenger, he made some rude remarks and did not allow sitting the man beside him. Being informed over the issues, I stopped the bus and faced with the man. Still he was unwilling to allow the other passenger to take the seat. Finding no other way, I gently asked him to get down of the bus or I will not drive. Experiencing mass resistance, the man had to get down from the bus and then I started driving again.

28. You have come upon a serious accident where it is apparent there may have been loss of life. How would you deal with your bus?
Answer: In that case I will park the bus in the side of the accident spot and will provide necessary first aids to the injured and in case of serious injury; I will take the victims to the nearest hospital by driving my bus.

29. You have entered a busy intersection and a passenger vehicle cuts in front of you. What would be your response?
Answer: I will press brakes immediately so that nobody could get hurt. If possible, then I will advise the driver of that passenger vehicle to drive more carefully in future. 

30. A student changes seats several times. You have asked him to sit still without success. What would be your response?
Answer: If the student does not follow my request, I will pretend that I will start the bus by dropping him off far away from the school or college. Though I will not allow the student to get down, I think it would be helpful to make him steady inside the bus. 

31. Have you ever had a strong disagreement with another person? How did you handle this conflict?
Answer: Yes, I often experience so. I am a man with no anger but sometimes I have to pretend to be angry if there are some disorders or disagreement which is in fact illegal. Often the passengers occupy seats intentionally so that they could have comfortable journey and they usually do not think of the other passengers. In that moment, I have to act polite and if the politeness does not work, I turn a bit rude with the passenger with illegal comfort. I ask the passenger rudely to behave and if he still is disobeying, then I ask him to get down and sometimes apply force as well. I have to be rude for the sake of the other passengers.  

32. Do you know a bus driver you believe is very good at his job? In what way do you feel that he is doing a good job?
Answer: Yes, I know a bus driver who is good at his job. In fact I took bus driving training with him. He is sensible enough and takes care of the passengers perfectly. He is always on time and follows the bus schedules perfectly. He never wastes time on waiting for passengers in a single bus stop rather moves onward after waiting for about one or two minutes maximum. So, I feel that he is doing a very good job in this profession.  

33. What kind of things would you do to prepare to drive a school bus?
Answer: Firstly I have to know about the school schedule – when it begins or ends. Then I will check the local maps to have a hassle free route to reach the school. I also have to be aware about the bus stops to wait for the students and follow the other instructions (if any) from my recruiting authority. Moreover, I have to be prepared to drive the bus slowly lest there are no accidents. Besides, I also have to check the bus condition like if the brakes are working well, if the seats are neat and clean, if any repairing needed or not etc. I also should check the status of the gas before moving out. If there are any incompatibilities with any of the issues are found, I have to inform it to the authority. Last but not the least, I also have to check all of my bus driving documents if they are updated or not. If everything is fine, then I can start the bus without any stress.

34. Why do you want to make a career of driving a bus?
Answer: I feel a deep sense of enjoyment when I drive buses and have been driving for the past seven years. It is a kind of addiction to me and I have never made any serious accidents at all in the past years. I feel that I am driver by birth and thus driving is the only best thing I can do. As I have not changed the track of my career, I want to continue it as long as I can.

35. What characteristics do you possess that make you a good bus driver?
Answer: In fact I own almost all the characteristics of a good bus driver. I have a sharp sense of remembering the road networks, and the most important thing is that I never break the traffic rules. I always drive the bus under the speed limit and ignore overtaking the others. I have never gained any penalty points on my license. So, for all these reasons, I think I am a good bus driver. 

36. Do you practice defensive driving? On a daily basis, what are the techniques you practice?
Answer: Yes, I practice defensive driving regularly. The techniques I practice include – planning for the unexpected events, controlling the speed limit, respect the other drivers or vehicle users on the road, do not expect the same thing from everyone on the road, remain aware in special weather condition or on special roads, do not use cell phones etc.

37. In the event of a serious accident, what procedure would you follow?
Answer: Firstly, I will stop the car I am driving and get down. If there are passengers inside the car, I will ask or help them to dismount from the car and also will check the conditions of the injured. If someone is found seriously injured, then I will seek help to take the injured to the nearest hospitals or medical centers. Besides, I will inform the local administration about the accident.

38. Have you had time to prepare for this interview? If not, why not? If yes how?
Answer: It is a regret that I could not manage time to get prepared for the interview because I had to drive last night. When I get back home, I barely managed time for the preparation. So, all the answers I gave here were from my real-life experiences and thus there might have incompetence with the answers.

39. Is there anything you would like to add about yourself that you feel we should know when considering you for this position?
Answer: The most important thing about me that I am very careful driver and there are no bad spots in my career so long. I want to serve my employer sincerely and by the same time want the right evaluation of my skills, honesty and efforts. I am always eager to learn and if I have to learn something new for this job, I will do that gladly. Hope you would be satisfied with my cordial services and the relationship between us will last longer for all of my perseverance and positive attitudes on my job. There is nothing more to say for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment